8 facts that should make your heart race
- If not for the specialized cardiology procedures provided at Huntsville Hospital, patients from throughout North Alabama would have to travel to Nashville, Birmingham or elsewhere.
- The first open heart surgery at Huntsville Hospital was performed 34 years ago, in 1981. Since then hundreds of thousands of patients have received specialized cardiac care in our facilities.
- Huntsville Hospital was recently named by Truven as a top 50 heart hospital in the U.S. and was the only hospital in Alabama to receive this honor.
- Highly skilled physicians, nurses and other cardiac specialists are now able to perform minimally invasive valve replacement and minimally invasive mitral valve replacement, which allows them to avoid potential complications associated with open heart procedures.
- In September 2013, Huntsville Hospital became the first site in Alabama for a successful Convergent Ablation Procedure to correct a patient with permanent atrial fibrillation (AFib), the most common type of heart rhythm disturbance.
- Huntsville Hospital is the only Alabama hospital that ranks among America’s 100 best for cardiac care and among the top 50 for cardiac surgery.
- Patients who are not stable enough for open heart surgery to replace a diseased valve may now benefit from transcutaneous aortic valve replacement (TAVR), a highly specialized and rare cardiac procedure.
- Heart Center Research is one of the nation’s largest non-university based research centers in the U.S. Since the 1990s, the site has conducted pharmaceutical trials, device trials and registries that allow North Alabama patients access to innovative technology and medical care.
Click to learn more about Huntsville Hospital's Cardiology program.