Women's Pavilion • 910 Adams St., Suite 100 • Huntsville, AL 35801 • (256) 265-0880
Hours of service: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (closed for lunch Noon – 1 p.m.)
Download a new patient packet
Referral form for physicians
Huntsville Hospital Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) provides medical evaluation and treatment for women whose pregnancies may come with an increased risk for complications. Dr. Margaret F. Carter is double board certified in MFM and OB/GYN and has completed a fellowship in MFM. Dr. Hernandez recently completed a three-year MFM fellowship at the University of Arizona. He is board certified in OB/GYN.
Drs. Carter and Hernandez lead a team of clinical specialists including a certified nurse practitioner, registered nurses and a registered medical sonographer specializing in high risk pregnancy scans.They offer outpatient visits and inpatient consultations for maternity patients hospitalized at Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children.
Consultations are provided for:
- Routine prenatal diagnosis
- Maternal age of 35 and older
- Previous pregnancy complications
- Possible birth defect
- Family history of a genetic condition
- Chronic or acute medical disease such as diabetes, hypertension, autoimmune disease or clotting disorder
- Current obstetric condition such as short cervix, preterm labor or abnormal placenta
- At the request of your OB/GYN upon admission to the hospital with pregnancy complications
MFM consultations are by appointment only and initially made through your obstetrician’s or primary care physician’s office.
Please bring the following items to your appointment:
- Current insurance card and photo ID
- Completed new patient packet
To cancel an appointment, please notify the clinic at least 24 hours in advance. This is an important courtesy to others waiting to schedule an appointment.
Services provided by Huntsville Hospital Maternal Fetal Medicine are covered by most insurance plans. Please call your insurance provider if you have any questions about your policy.