Huntsville Hospital has the largest hospital volunteer program in the state and is one of the largest in the nation. With approximately 600 adults and more than 100 youth volunteers contributing more than 110,000 hours each year, we estimate that our volunteers save us more than $1.9 million per year – the equivalent of about 50 full time employees.
We are always looking for volunteers to help in many areas of the hospital. Volunteers must be at least 15 years old and be able to provide a minimum commitment of 50 service hours over the course of their assignment.
Once you have decided to donate your time as a volunteer, the Volunteer Services Placement Coordinator will work with you to find an assignment that meets your interests, your schedule and the hospital’s needs. Some volunteer assignments may have age requirements or require additional qualifications.
Summer Youth Auxiliary program
To qualify as a Youth Auxiliary Volunteer, students must be at least 15 years old, maintain a “B” average in school and pay an annual membership fee of $5. Youth volunteers must commit to serving a minimum of seven weeks of service over the course of the nine week program. To learn about the opportunities available for youth volunteers, call (256) 265-8013.
We have several volunteer opportunities available for college students throughout the year, along with job shadowing, internships and more. To learn about these opportunities, please call (256) 265-8013.
To qualify as a volunteer, applicants must attend a personal interview, complete an application and orientation packet, and be prepared to undergo a criminal background check. Please note that submitting an application to Volunteer Services does not obligate Huntsville Hospital to provide a volunteer placement, nor are volunteers obligated to accept the position offered.
- Adult and college student volunteers apply now online
- Youth and college student application deadlines vary. Please call our office for more information.
- Depending upon your placement location and affiliation, you may be asked to purchase and wear a uniform.
- All new volunteers must undergo Tuberculin Skin Testing (PPD). This skin test is performed in the Employee Health Office at no charge to volunteers.
- All volunteers must also attend orientation and training sessions as a requirement.
101 Sivley Road, Huntsville, AL 35801
Phone: (256) 265-8013
Fax: (256) 265-6945