Pediatric Intensive Care (PICU)
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit is a 10-bed unit that cares for critically ill children. The staff is dedicated to pediatric critical care and can provide a full range of services including ventilatory support, invasive and noninvasive hemodynamic monitoring in a high-tech, yet family-centered environment. Located on the 4th floor of Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children, the unit is staffed by three intensivists that are board certified in Pediatric Critical care. The PICU is the only Pediatric ICU between Birmingham and Nashville.
Doctors Board Certified in Pediatric Critical Care:
- Dr. Alice McDuffee
- Dr. Barbara Richman
- Dr. Lyn Davidson
All RN staff are:
- Dedicated and specially trained Pediatric Critical Care Nurses
- PALS certified
Specialists & Therapists:
- Pediatric Physical, Speech and Occupational Therapist
- Dedicated Child life Specialist
- Pediatric Respiratory Therapist
- Pediatric Dietician
Dedicated Transport Team:
Many pediatric patients at other hospitals who face serious medical conditions requiring critical care are transferred to Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children PICU by a specialized team and ambulance known as KIDS CARE. This highly trained team of nurses and respiratory therapist assist to stabilize, treat and monitor a child at the referring facility and throughout ground transport.
- We have 24-hour visitation for parents.
- Parents are encouraged to stay with their children.
- One parent may sleep at the bedside during the night.
- Visits by therapy dogs
Respirators, EKG monitors, intravenous tubes and the today’s healthcare can be overwhelming to family members. To help address family concerns, the PICU staff is supported by other disciplines including social workers, Child life specialists and hospital chaplains.
PICU Visiting Hours
- Parents or Grandparents (at parents discretion) have open-visitation 24-hours a day.
- Only 1 parent may sleep in room overnight.
- Only 2 visitors at a time. (This includes parents)
- The recommended time for others to visit is:
2:00pm - 4:00pm and 8:00pm - 9:00pm.
Parents will determine who will be allowed to visit. No one under the age of 14, except sibling of patient that has met with Child-Life Coordinator will be allowed in PICU. She will help prepare the sibling for the visit to PICU. If she is unavailable the visit is at the nurse’s discretion.