Eating and Drinking NPO Guidelines
If your child is scheduled for a test or procedure with sedation/anesthesia, please follow the Sedation Program guidelines below to ensure his or her safety. The procedure may be delayed or rescheduled if these guideline are not met. We attempt to schedule infants early in the day.
- Your child should not have ANYTHING by mouth for two hours before the procedure.
- Your child can drink clear liquids (a liquid you can see through) up to two hours before the procedure.
- Your child should not breastfeed for four hours prior to sedation or anesthesia.
- Your child should not eat ANYTHING or take cow milk products for at least six hours before anesthesia or sedation.
- We prefer that high-fat meals (such as a hamburger, etc.) are not consumed eight hours before anesthesia or sedation.
Back to Pediatric Sedation