The sedation program is a service designed to reduce the pain and stress associated with children's medical care.
We bring together providers from several disciplines to apply the best technologies and expertise to improve your child's medical experience. Plan to begin preparing your toddler the day before the procedure. Preparation too far in advance can cause more anxiety.
Common causes of stress for toddlers
- Being left alone
- Loss of comforts
- Stranger anxiety - contact with unfamiliar people
- Medical equipment
- Restricted mobility
How you can help
- Toddlers like to make choices, so offer some whenever possible. For example, have your toddler choose which toy to
bring or which shirt to wear.
- Explain who the staff is and what they will do before it happens.
- Provide simple explanations and be careful of your wording. For example, say "The doctor is going to fix your leg."
Do not say "The doctor is going to make a cut on your leg."
- Read books with your child about going to the hospital.
- Going to the Hospital by Anne Civardi and Michelle Bates.
- The Magic School Bus: Inside the Human Body by Joanna Cole and Bruce Degar.
- A Visit to the Sesame Street Hospital by Deborah Hautzig.
- Going to the Hospital by Fred Rogers.
- Big Operation: The Busy World of Richard Scarry by Richard Scarry.