Hospital employee wellness program wins recognition
Huntsville Hospital’s employee health and wellness program has been recognized by the American Heart Association (AHA).
The hospital is the only business in North Alabama to earn an award from AHA’s 2019 Workplace Health Achievement Index. The Index uses science-based best practices to evaluate the overall quality and comprehensiveness of workplace health programs.
Huntsville Hospital offers a wide range of free health and wellness help for its 8,000-plus employees in Madison County, including:
- Employee Health clinics providing onsite medical care
- HealthWorks employee wellness program with annual biometric screening and health assessment
- HealthMatters chronic disease management
- Tobacco cessation help
- Annual vaccinations
- Wellness Center memberships for employees covered by hospital’s health insurance plan and those who complete HealthWorks
- Marked indoor and outdoor walking trails
- Weekly Farmer’s Market where employees can buy fresh, locally-grown fruits and vegetables
- Yoga on the Lawn
“Healthy employees take better care of patients, so our employee health and wellness initiatives are a key part of our hospital mission,” said Huntsville Hospital HealthWorks Director Heather Whorton, RN. “We’re proud to receive this recognition from the American Heart Association and hope it inspires other companies in our region to strengthen their own employee wellness programs.”
Studies have shown that worksites with comprehensive, evidence-based wellness policies and programs, and senior leadership support, are more likely to have engaged employees and a healthier, more productive workforce.
A unique feature of AHA’s Workplace Health Achievement Index is that it calculates an average heart health score for employees of participating companies that securely submit aggregate health data. Companies receive benchmarking reports, which allow them to identify potential areas of improvement so they can advance their annual performance and recognition.
Huntsville Hospital is one of only six Alabama businesses recognized by AHA this year for their employee wellness efforts. The hospital earned AHA’s second-highest Silver rating.