The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is issuing new Medicare cards with new numbers to beneficiaries. This process will remove Social Security numbers from Medicare cards and replace those numbers with new identification numbers. You will receive your new cards in the mail between April 1, 2018 - April 1, 2019.
What you need to know
- April 1, 2018 – April 1, 2019: New Medicare Cards issued to beneficiaries.
- December 31, 2019: Old Medicare cards and Social Security Numbers will no longer be active after this date.
- The new Medicare cards will not change the patient’s Medicare coverage or benefits and can be used as soon as they are received.
- You don't need to take any action to get your new Medicare card.
- Medicare will never ask you to give personal or private information to get your new Medicare number and card.
- There's no charge for your new card.
Medicare uses the name and address you have on file with Social Security. To change your name and/or address, visit My Social Security Account at https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/.
To learn more details about the new Medicare Cards visit www.cms.gov/Medicare/New-Medicare-Card.