The mission of Community Health Initiative is to provide grant monies for projects dedicated to improving our community's health through education, prevention and early detection of disease. Non-profit organizations with new or innovative programs are encouraged to apply.
Downloads: Application Packet (pdf) | Request for Proposals (word)
Application (word) | Budget Form Example (word)
In 1995, the Health Care Authority of the City of Huntsville appointed a Community Health Initiative (CHI) committee. The committee is made up of volunteers representing a cross-section of the community and strives to improve the health status of the citizens of Madison County through education, prevention and early detection of disease.
In June of 1996, the first CHI grants were made to address the community's priority health issues with hopes that a measurable, positive impact would be seen on the overall health of our community. Since its inception, more than $9.8 million has been awarded to 48 local agencies.
2017 - 2018 recipients of Community Health Initiative grants
Non-profit agencies receiving funding from Community Health Initiative in 2017 – 2018:
- The Arc of Madison County
- The Autism Resource Foundation
- The Community Free Clinic
- The Community Free Dental Clinic
- HEALS (Health Establishments At Local Schools)
- New Hope Children's Clinic
- North Alabama Medical Reserve Corps
- North Alabama Sickle Cell Foundation, Inc.North Alabama Sickle Cell Foundation, Inc.
- Rock Steady BoxingRock Steady Boxing
- United Cerebral Palsy – Equipping Families for Success Program
- Village of Promise − Infant University Program
- Wellstone Behavioral Health
Learn more about how the 2016-2017 grants were used.
CHI Committee members
- Beth Richardson, Chairman
- Linda Akenhead
- Aruna Arora, MD
- Greg Barnes
- Philip Bentley, Jr.
- Kerry Fehrenbach
- Michelle Jordan
- Rev. John Herndon
- Scott Harris, MD
- Burr Ingram, Hospital Liaison
- Cathy Miller
- Janet Neeley
- Brian Patz, MD
- Betty Peterson
- Rikki Powell
- Nicole Schroer
- Judy Smith
- John Simms, Project Coordinator
- Dana Trulock