We have the state’s largest emergency and trauma program and the region’s only state-designated level I trauma center. We have provided trauma services since 1995 and treat an average of 2,400 trauma patients per year.
Highlights of our program
- Five highly-trained trauma surgeons, more than 40 emergency medicine specialists, nurse practitioners, and specialized nursing and technician staff
- State-of-the-art technology
- Capacity to treat nearly 100 patients at a time
- Six major trauma suites, which can accommodate up to three patients each in disaster situations
- Trauma surgeons on call 24/7/365
- Instrumental in the development of the North Alabama Trauma System (NATS) to ensure patients are transported to the nearest facility that is capable and available to provide emergency/trauma care
- Trauma program coordinator who provides ongoing staff training, education and conferences
- Ongoing implementation of best-practice efficiencies to provide quality care in the most efficient manner
- Ultrasound and radiology coverage 24-hours a day to expedite care and help minimize wait time
- ER stat lab to expedite processing of laboratory testing, usually in less than one hour
- Operating room suites and a dedicated anesthesiologist on standby 24-hours a day for trauma patients
- Home to the region’s only Pediatric ER and Obstetric Emergency Department at Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children
|Trauma Surgeons (Left to right): Jeffrey Walker, MD; Rony Najjar, MD; Farin Smith, MD; Deepak Katyal, MD; Kevin Tyler, MD.