What to bring to the hospital
At Joint Camp, you will be able to wear your normal clothing on the first day after surgery. Because you will be exercising, out of bed and walking in the halls throughout the day, you should bring loose-fitting clothing such as shorts or sweat pants. Bedroom slippers should have a non-skid sole and enclosed toe and heel. If you already have a walker, you should bring it to the hospital. Please remember to label any items with your name prior to your admission.
Of course, you will want to bring a robe, socks and sweater or sweatshirt due to room temperature changes.
Joint Camp Checklist
- Bring your personal walker with you. If you do not have a walker on the first day, please let your nurse or social worker know so that one may be ordered for you to use in the hospital.
- Bring a list of your medications. Remember to take note of the dosage amount and when you take it.
- Bring clothing that allows plenty of room for the dressings, such as loose-fitting shorts (knee patients) and one size larger shorts/pants than you normally wear (hip patients).
- Nightgowns or pajamas for ladies and pajamas for men are appropriate.
- Bring non-skid socks (one pair will be provided).
- Bring your glasses, contact lenses and hearing aides.
- Bring personal toiletries, including lip balm.
- Bring a pen and note pad for writing notes and questions.
- Bring a personal DVD player, movies or personal computer (the hospital provides free Wi-Fi).
- Bring reading material, playing cards or handheld games.
- Bring a list of phone numbers for family, friends and your pharmacy.
- Bring a smile and a “ready to work” attitude.
Arriving at Huntsville Hospital the day of surgery
Park in the Visitor Garage off Gallatin Street. After exiting the parking garage and entering the main lobby of the hospital, walk past the revolving doors, information desk and gift shop until you reach the "C" elevators. Take the "C" elevator to the third floor. Turn right when you get off the elevator and follow the signs to the Third Floor Ortho receptionist / waiting room. Do not go to Admitting in the lobby of the hospital.